This cake roll is so easy to make and very special in flavor.
5 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil
8oz mascarpone cheese (softened)
3/4 cup of powder sugar
1 teaspoon rum (Amaretto or Coffee liqueur is great substitute)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
200ml heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup coffee (strong)
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon rum
Preheat oven to 360F.
Line 12 x 16 jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
Mix eggs, add sugar beating continuously.
In a separate bowl whisk together flour, cocoa and baking powder.
Slowly add oil to the egg mixture, turn off mixer, add dry ingredients and mix with the robber spatula until all ingredients are incorporated.
Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
Put the pan on the rack to cool. There is no need to transfer to a towel and roll. Just leave it in the pan to cool.
- Mix coffee and sugar, bring to boil.
- Lower the heat, let it boil until liquid is reduced in half (this will take only few minutes)
- Add rum and leave to cool.
- Mix mascarpone and powder sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix whipping cream (keep the empty bowl and wire whisk in freezer for about 10 minutes before mixing whipping cream)
- Add cinnamon and rum to the cheese mixture.
- Add in whipped cream, mix to blend all together.
- Cover with a plastic foil and refrigerate.
- Brush cake with coffee syrup
- Using spatula spread prepared filling leaving 1inch border at the end.
- Starting from short side roll up cake and as you roll peel off parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for few hours. Dust with cocoa before serving.