Krofna is a doughnut in Bosnia and surrounding countries. They can be filled with jam, chocolate, nutella or custard cream but I like mine airy, dusted in powdered sugar.
6 cups flour
4 teaspoon instant yeast
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup oil
zest of 1 lemon
1 quart oil for frying
- Whisk together flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt. Heat milk to lukewarm. In a mixer bowl start mixing eggs, add oil, lemon zest and then add milk. Start adding flour mixture and keep mixing until dough forms a ball. Transfer in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise.
- Punch the dough down and let it rise one more time.
- Transfer to floured surface, stretch with the rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut rounds using a cookie cutter, let it sit uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Pour about 1 quart of oil in a deep pot.
- Heat on medium and start dropping few donuts at the time (turning the upper side of donuts to be bottom side when frying)
- Flip over once, remove and allow to cool on a tray covered with paper towel.
- Dust with powdered sugar
- For jam filled donuts just fill a piping bag with your favorite jam and inject in each doughnut.