Cherries upside down cake, such a great play on traditional pineapple upside-down cake for the end of the winter season.
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (15oz) can of pitted cherries (I used sour cherries but the cake is great with sweet cherries too)
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
Melt butter, add sugar, whisk until well blended; spread over a 9″ pan lined with parchment paper. Drain cherries, arrange over butter mixture, in a single layer. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat eggs, add sugar until creamy.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Add oil to the egg mixture and then mix in flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Add lemon zest, stir well.
- Pour over cherry layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on rack for about 15 minutes.
- Run small knife around edges of pan to loosen cake.
- Place platter over cake and invert onto platter.
- Remove parchment paper.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar.